Born in Philly 1810 and died in 1888. He was possibly the first American to travel to Germany to study chemistry in the 1830s when American schools were teaching only by the book. He returned and built a teaching laboratory in 1836 to instill applied chemistry to American students. He taught at the Franklin Institute, Philadelphia’s Central High School, and the University of Pennsylvania, as well as being the refiner for the US Mint.
The images here are of his sketch of the laboratory he wished to build and the outside of the building which it was housed.
The Archives holds the papers of Booth.